Skip to main content

The Art of Tomfoolery

We go to a school that's truly full of whimsy. Every week, I feel like I see something new that would only be possible with such special children as these. So today, I wanted to share some of the things that I've seen throughout my years here at Uni, and why they make our school so special.

I must first begin with the absolute degeneracy that is German class. Specifically German 4 (I have no idea if other German classes are like this, but ours is truly special). It seems that every class period, something absolutely unhinged happens. A few weeks ago, someone put a thumb tack on poor Sam's seat, and he sat on it. While I did feel bad for him because I'm sure it's not a nice feeling to have a metal pin shoved up your butt, it was one of the funniest things I've seen this year. Another time, someone made a weapon of mass destruction from a mechanical pencil. It could suck up water and then when the eraser was pressed, it would launch the water several feet into the air, soaking anyone's paper who was unfortunately in the way. There's also a tradition that we started in our German class of stealing each other's water bottles. Somehow, my water bottle ended up being everyone's favorite to take. For all of freshman and sophomore year, people would steal my water bottle almost every day in German and hide it in the strangest places. Eventually, this tradition spread outside of German too.

One day in Freshman English, sitting in this very Kenney classroom, my water bottle was once again stolen. That in and of itself wasn't memorable for me, but what was memorable was how I found my water bottle. For reasons I'd rather not get into, my shoes and socks were off. When I found my water bottle shoved into the ceiling of the boys locker room, I saw to my great dismay that my socks were soaking in my water bottle! At that moment, even though I thought it was really funny I was a little bit annoyed because I had to spend 10 minutes blow drying my wet socks. But I later realized that all of these shenanigans, as stupid as they may be, are what define our school. Our idiocy is what makes Uni.

Long after we graduate, when we think about our time at Uni, do you really think we will remember physics, or U.S. history? No hate to the big Ruba or Leffy boy---learning is important too---but the most memorable part of life at Uni will be the experiences we had with others (teachers and students). For me, a lot of those memories will be of the dumb shenanigans my friends and I did. I feel like our school culture really leans into this aspect of doing weird, fun things too. Think about it, we have a whole award dedicated to weird things that students have done (Wylde Q. Chicken). What other school has that? 

As we head into this stressful time of schoolwork and college applications, take some time to have fun with your friends. Go and do stupid things. That's the Uni experience that'll make you smile when you look back on your time here.

Comments

  1. Hi Jayden! I loved reading this post, and I agree one thing unique about Uni is our dumb shenanigans. Honestly, I can't relate much to the German class since French is so dead and quiet, but at least the other classes are having fun. And I think it's because we are such a small class, we bond with each other way more than other public schools. Now that its almost time for college applications and the SAT/ACT, I feel like a lot of us (including myself sometimes) get too caught up in them and lose the joy of doing silly things at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember the wet suck weapon and the fight my brother had with Madden. Such good memories, all thanks to the idiocy of Uni and its students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can confirm seeing Sam sit on a tack absolutely made my week. On a broader note--I really like this post! It's funny because 90% of the tomfoolery in this class stems from you, but clearly it's more contagious than I thought if someone is going around sticking socks in water bottles. That's something I really love about our class; we're not afraid of looking stupid in front of each other and it certainly makes German class more interesting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jayden. I thought your post was really funny and I enjoyed it a lot.
    I'd definitely agree that Uni's tomfoolery is what makes it unique, but I'd like to point out a contrast to public schools. In Centennial/Central, etc., tomfoolery is oftentimes (so I've heard) much more legitimately harmful/scandalous, so I'm grateful that the worst of our grade's shenanigans involves a sock-filled waterbottle. (It also definitely helps that since our class is so close, we genuinely don't care about embarrassing ourselves...for better or worse.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can thank me for inspiration for this post. I won't lie, I am both a participant and a victim of the tomfoolery you describe. I appreciate that our school fosters an environment where we can play with each other a little and get to know each other better. I may be angry you impaled me, but I'll get you back one day with some even greater tomfoolery, and that's what friends are for, and I'm glad Uni could allow us to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are Conspiracy Theories Really That Crazy?

This week, I've been seeing some Instagram reels about conspiracy theories, and it got me thinking. I'm sure all of us have heard of some pretty insane-sounding ones. Vaccines cause autism, the moon landing was faked, the Earth is flat, etc. These theories have been disproved time after time again, and yet why do people still believe in them? Why do people ignore decades, centuries, or even millenia of research and instead wholeheartedly believe in some far-fetched theory? I'm going to argue that there are two reasons. First, which is the obvious, that the internet is quickly spreading these conspiracy theories to lots of people. But there exists also a sense among the public that the government and institutions cannot be trusted, which I will show you is not a completely insane idea. Let me give you some examples of when our government and institutions have harmed us. One infamous and relatively recent case was the uncovering of U.S. government surveillance programs on ord...